Keeping up with Manuel, the Rhinestone Rembrandt

Manuel on video

Loading...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Notes from Ole' Sarah!



On my first day of work at Manuel's anything that could go wrong on a first day did go wrong. I woke up early to ensure that I was not late... and the coffee maker exploded like a volcano full of lava-- coffee grinds everywhere. Then, I finally arrive at Manuel’s and can't find a parking spot, so I park in a Vanderbilt parking garage. When I eventually get inside the shop, I was 20 minutes late. Lalie greeted me and told me not to worry about how late I was and gave me a tour of the shop. When she was giving me a tutorial of how to rhinestone, I accidentally knocked an entire rack of scarves over and barely missed her head. By that point I was anxiously awaiting 5:30 to roll around so my frazzled first day would be over. To top it all off, when I got back to my car I had a $20 ticket because I had put my money for the parking garage in the wrong slot.

Thankfully, my first day was NOT a sign of things to come. The 3 months that followed that awful first day were the most fun I have ever had. I came to find that I actually looked forward to going to work everyday and was sad when 5:30 did roll around. At the end of my internship I had even considered cancelling my plans to attend SCAD (Savannah College of Arts and Design) so I could stay in Nashville and continue interning. I consider myself privileged and lucky that I got to work and form friendships with such amazing people. Everyone from Manuel's even put together a hipster packet and sent it to me when I first moved to Georgia because they knew how homesick I was and how much I loved stereotypes.

I am now living in Savannah, GA and anxiously awaiting graduation from SCAD. Words cannot express how much I miss my family at Manuel's. I try to visit everyone as often as possible, which unfortunately ends up being only once a year. I am excited to visit in April for Manuel's birthday and to be greeted with a hug and to hear the Man himself say "I have missed my boobies!"

Miss you all,

Sarah Swafford

1 comment:

  1. My Manuel....He is my idol and my blessing. He is such a gifted tailor who has such flair and such dedication. He makes you feel like a STAR even when you are not. He does know true talent and has a way with bringing you love and wonderful clothes. You have never lived if you have not had a MANUEL

    ReplyDelete